Since I was a little girl, I have always dreamed of getting married in either a secluded and old chapel/church or the beach. Thus, upon seeing the beauty and mystique of the churches in Iloilo, I could not help but wish to be married to an Ilonggo- that I may be able to walk along one of the aisles of Iloilo's grandest churches. (CHOS!)
Iloilo is one of the best places to scout for ancient churches dating back to the Spanish colonial era. So, if you are into those, then you might as well see these churches. To help you out a bit on that, lemme ust share to you how Iloilo's old churches captivated me, leaving me wanting to get into a time travel machine to transport me back to the days of Spanish colonization.
Last October 2011, I went to Iloilo-- the place that exudes the beauty and mystery that characterizes old Spanish-styled churches. With turrets as grandiose as its exteriors, each of the churches have a story to boot and an architectural design to boast of.
Transporting me back to eons of eras gone by, I couldn't help but wonder about the different stories that are kept hidden within these churches' elaborate facade. I also could not help but imagine about those war-torn eras where these places served as both a prison and sanctuary for several Filipinos.
Though these churches hold an eerie aura in it, I couldn't help but be drawn by its mystic allure. I don't know why, but everytime I see them, flashes of images come into mind depicting both bliss and terror, laughter and tears, solemnity and grief. (Or maybe, I just lack sleep or I've had too much of Spanish-inspired films. :D)
...
My Abridged Iloilo "Visita Iglesia" Itinerary
I've chosen 3 churches based also on the suggestions I've read on posts from Pinoy Travel bloggers who have toured Iloilo. I decided to go first to the farthest church and just go back to the churches I've missed, once I travel back to where I am staying at Jaro.
Thus, the first church on my list was San Joaquin Church, located in San Joaquin, Iloilo.
How to get there
With eyes still drowsy and with a brain still in a daze, at around 7 am, I asked assistance from the people manning the front desk of the place where I'm staying (Ong Bun Pension House). There, they told me to ride a jeep that will take me to "Super", which in fact is also their Public Market and Terminal. Since I am not too fussy, I was able to prep myself up for the tour within just 30 minutes (yes, I know. Still not fast enough!
With nothing in my tummy to fuel me up for the day, I ended up eating at one of the batchoy places in the market. After munching on Iloilo's favorite delicacy, I asked the locals on what jeep to take to San Joaquin, and they directed to one of the jeeps waiting to be filled.
San Joaquin Church
(San Joaquin, Iloilo City)
This is my first stop in my own version of abridged "Iloilo Visita Iglesia".
San Joaquin is another town in Iloilo that is on the border near Antique. A 15-minute ride from Miag-Ao, and about an hour ride from Iloilo City; this place is the last town of the Southwestern part of Iloilo.
Among the other churches, it is the only one with a military facade depicting the Battle of Tetuan- the war between the Spanish Christians and the Moroccan Moors. On its side is a park where most of the locals hang-out. A little farther on the left side of the church, you will find a road leading up to a cross situated on a steep mountain. Locals say it is a favorite destination of worshipers during the Holy Week.
Among all the churches I've went to, it is by far my most favorite. Its ambiance, interior, and long aisle caught my interest so much!
(Jaro, Iloilo City)
The 2nd Stop of my Tour
St. Thomas Villanueva Parish, or most commonly known as Miag-Ao Church has been listed as a part of the UNESCO Heritage List. Designed in a Baroque-Romanesque style, the parish is made of sturdy walls dug deep down into the ground. Its yellowish interior is attributed to the primary element of its construction, sandstone.
Although, it cannot be denied that the church really has high aesthetic appeal, I find the place too busy for the church to maintain its solemnity. Located in the middle of a busy town and just beside the highway, I find it not that conducive for moments of prayer or meditation; although inside the church, you would really feel a deep sense of reverence for all the figures and images it holds. In front (or was it beside it?), a plaza was also built for Jose Rizal.
Parish of Our Lady of Candles
(Jaro, Iloilo City)
Last Stop!
Holding their feast every February 2, it is the only cathedral in the entire Panay Island. The church was made under the patron saint, Nuestra Señora de Candelaria. The said parish was destroyed in 1948 due to an earthquake, and was restored in 1950. The image of the patron is made of limestone, thus, it keeps on growing over the years and have to be moved into another container as it would not fit its original case anymore.
In front of the cathedral is the Jaro Belfry located within a plaza, that is a common haunt for many Ilonggos. In case you're hungry, outside of it, you can find stalls selling yummy bibingkas, so go and munch on! You'd surely love it to pieces!
...
![]() | |
| One of the belfries of Miag-Ao Church |
![]() |
| Bulwark of San Joaquain Church |
I'm sure you will enjoy these churches as much as I did! Iloilo has so much to offer aside from those 3 churches. Due to scarcity of funds and time, my trip has to be cut short since I still have a Guimaras boat trip to catch. So, for any queries, feel free to ask! I will be very to help you out in planning your Iloilo travel itinerary!
Tuesday, May 22, 2012







hi! i will be visiting iloilo on Jan 24, 2013 -- il br arriving in Iloilo around 12pm and be back to Manila on Jan. 26, 2013 3:35pm flight... i wanna see these old churches and the famous Guimaras beach.. can you help me w/ my itinerary..can i do the church hopping jan 24? then late afternon of jan 24 or early morning jan 25 going to guimaras? will that work?
ReplyDeleteHi there Andrea!
DeleteHave you already booked reservations in Iloilo for Jan 24? If not, I'd recommend you book reservations in Guimaras, since there are also several accommodations available there. Doing a half-day tour on the churches, won't be enough. I've actually featured only 3 out of the many churches in Iloilo since I lack the time to visit them all.
Going back on Guimaras, From Iloilo, go to Lapuz Port and pay at the ticketing station for a boat to Guimaras. In there, you can find a tourist guide that will tell you about your options for an overnight stay or tourists spots you can visit. Guimaras is famous for their clear beaches and rock formations. Guisi lighthouse also offers room accommodations, in case you're interested. ;)
Then on the morning of Jan. 25, you can start touring the Iloilo churches. Just catch the first trip going to Iloilo from Guimaras. (ps: You can skip the Jaro cathedral, since you can visit that on Jan. 26, before heading to the airport for your trip back to Manila. Aside from that, you can do a quick city tour on Jan.26.)
Hope that helps! For other queries, feel free to ask. ;)
Here's another quick post on Guimaras, you can check this out: http://theislandtrotter.blogspot.com/2011/11/guimaras-iloilo-island-of-many.html
DeleteWe were not able to visit a lot though because at the time that we were there, roads were closed down since the island has recently been ravaged by a typhoon. If you want to get suggestions on top tourist destinations in the island, there is a front desk tourist guide available to help you out.
Hi Ms.Anj =) =) i dont have itinerary yet but your blog and advice will help me alot! THANK YOU SO MUCH! enjoy and take care on your next travel!
ReplyDeleteMY "Jowa" =) and I decided to stay near Guisi Lighthouse hehehe and yes I will be visiting some old churches --- thank you so much gurl mmmwah ...
ReplyDeleteI highly recommend Kuya Michael he is our Tourist guide/ Tricycle driver/Multicab Driver/ Photographer. He is very nice and honest. Feel free to call him next time you visit Guimaras. He will fetch you on time at Jordan Wharf and greeted you with his warm smile. Here is the Contact no. of Kuya Michael Selorico -- 0908 324 6835.
ReplyDeleteQifan0713
ReplyDeleteevening dresses
nick foles jersey,eagles elite jersey
nike trainers
mulberry sale
christian louboutin shoes
michael kors handbags,michael kors outlet,michael kors outlet online,michael kors,kors outlet,michael kors outlet online sale,michael kors handbags clearance,michael kors purses,michaelkors.com,michael kors bags,michael kors shoes,michaelkors,cheap michael kors
jordan 13
nike soccer shoes
the north face uk
nike air max,air max uk,air max 90,nike air max 90,air max shoes
lebron 12 shoes
nike roshe,nike roshe run uk,nike roshe uk,roshe run,nike roshe run,roshe run women,rushe run men
air jordan shoes
colts jerseys
dansko outlet
ravens jerseys
rolex watches,swiss watch,replica watches,rolex watches for sale,replica watches uk,rolex watches replica,rolex watches for sales
cheap ugg boots
eagles jerseys
eric decker jersey,muhammad wilkerson jersey,michael vick jersey,geno smith jersey,dennis byrd jersey,jace amaro jersey,calvin pace jersey,curtis martin jersey,
nike air huarache
moncler outlet
chelsea jersey
nike air huarache,nike huarache,nike huarache sneakers,nike huarache shoes
barcelona jersey
true religion jeans
nike sneakers
prom dresses
kyrie irving jersey
the north face